Saturday, February 24, 2007

Science Day

I had the really great privilege of giving a presentation on Photography to my daughter's class at Colorado Springs Christian School yesterday. We talked a little bit about the history of cameras and I led up to Harold Edgerton's experiments in stroboscopic photography (remember the famous picture of the bullet going through the apple?).


We finished off by doing hands-on experiments with my camera and shooting Nerf darts and flying paper airplanes in front of a flash firing at 20 - 100 times per second. The results were really great and the kids loved it. The images below were made by 3rd graders under the careful supervision of an expert photgrapher...haha.




Pretty cool stuff! This is something just about anyone can do -- I think we only used about $7,000 in camera and presentation equipment to make it work ;)
Seriously though, if you're an educator and want some tips on how this is done, I'm happy to help out, just drop me an e-mail (tim@imagefactoryphoto.com). I would consider doing this one more time this year for another school in Colorado Springs too, so e-mail me if you'd be interested.

-Tim

No comments: